The process of recruitment and selection of staff is a set of stages or steps that aim to recruit and select the best staff for a job in a company.
It begins with the definition of the candidate profile, and continues the search, recruitment or call for applicants, their evaluation, selection and hiring the most suitable, and the induction and training of it.
Let’s look at each of the steps in the recruitment and selection of staff:
1. Definition of Applicant Profile
The process of recruitment and selection starts with the definition of the candidate profile, ie the definition of skills or characteristics that a person must meet so that you can apply for the post we are offering.
For example, we must determine what knowledge, experience, skills, values (eg, honesty, perseverance, etc.) and attitudes (eg, capacity for teamwork, tolerance to pressure, etc.) we held.
And for that, we must consider the position to which postulates the person; for example, to a position involving public attention, besides experience, we may require ability to relate to others with words, friendliness, etc.
But in addition to the post vacancy must also take into account our business in general, and so, for example, the profile of the applicant could also include the ability to adapt to the environment or culture of the company.
2. Search, recruitment or call
The next step is to search, recruitment or call for applicants who meet the qualifications or characteristics that we defined in the previous step (without having to meet all of them).
The following are some of the main sources, forms and methods through which we can find, recruit applicants or call:
- announcements or notices : the most common way to search or call applicants is through the publication of notices or announcements, whether in newspapers, Internet, posters, murals tanks, walls or windows of our local, etc. The advantage of this method is that we can reach a lot of people, while the disadvantage is that it involves more time and cost than other methods; why it is recommended that in drafting the ads, be as precise and specific as possible as to the requirements.
- Recommendations : another common way to get candidates is through recommendations we make contacts, friends, acquaintances, employees of our company, customers, tanks, etc. The advantage is that it is the fastest and least expensive way to get applicants, while the disadvantage is that they could recommending applicants who are not really qualified, except for those recommended by our own employees, who know that their reputation is at stake, could recommend a good applicants.
- Employment Agencies : companies where we provide applicants with certain skills and characteristics as defined by them.
- competition : competitors, of which we can get trained and experienced applicants.
- human resources consulting : Companies specializing in search candidates, but at a very high cost.
- practice : it consists in taking as candidates practitioners who are already working with us temporarily.
- files or databases : it consists in taking as applicants who have already evaluated or who have left us their CV above (for past calls).
This stage also includes asked applicants to send us your resume or fill out a request form empelo (which must be designed in a way that allows us to collect as much information as possible).
The third step of the recruitment and selection of staff is evaluating applicants who have recruited or summoned to choose among them the most suitable (or most appropriate) for the position you are offering.
This stage can start with a pre-selection (eg, through revision of curricula) that allows us to screen out applicants who do not meet the requirements requested, or allows us to have a reasonable number of applicants which to assess.
And once we have a reasonable number of applicants, we turn to evaluate and cite them through the following process:
- preliminary interview : take the applicant is a first interview informally in which you do open questions to see if it really meets the requirements we have requested.
- knowledge test : the applicant is to take an oral test and type in order to determine whether it meets the necessary skills for the job.
- psychological test : is to take a psychological test to determine their emotional balance, for which we could hire the services of a psychologist to help us with it.
- final interview : is to take her interview more formal and strict than the first, where do you open questions in order to know in depth, which could be taken by the head of the area to which postulates.
You may obviate some of these steps in order to save time and reduce costs, however, while more formal and strict is this evaluation process, the more likely we hire the right person.
During this evaluation process is important to corroborate the information and references provided by the applicant are true, for example, communicating with their former employers and asking whether the information provided to us is correct.
It is equally important to assess how was the performance of the candidate in their old jobs, for which we could also choose to communicate with his former bosses, peers and subordinates, and consult them on their performance.
4. Selection and recruitment
Once we have evaluated all applicants or candidates, we select the best performance has been in testing and interviews, ie, we select the most suitable candidate to fill the vacancy.
And once we have chosen the most suitable candidate, had to hire, ie to sign with him a contract point out where the office performed the functions performed, his remuneration, time to work with us, and other aspects that might be necessary to agree.
Even before hiring, we might decide to test for a short time, in order to directly assess their performance in his new role, besides their ability to relate to his new bosses, peers and subordinates.
5. Induction and training
Finally, once we have selected and hired new staff, we must ensure that suits as soon as possible to the company, and train so that you can perform properly in your new post.
To do this, we could start with him know the facilities and areas of the company, tell you where you can find the tools you might need for your work, and introduce you to their immediate supervisors and peers.
Then we could point out your work schedule, tell you where to store your belongings, give his uniform if any, tell you how to keep it in good condition, tell you what to do in an emergency, etc.
And then inform about the processes, policies and business rules, and assign a tutor to be responsible to train them on the functions, tasks, responsibilities, obligations and other particulars of his new position.